Cake Bomber Costumes


Magic Knight Hikaru – Starting out
June 16, 2011, 4:51 PM
Filed under: Fabric Choices, Magic Knight Rayearth, New Costume, Otakon, Planning, Starting

After getting back at around midnight from watching the new Pirates movie with my roommate, I felt inspired to work on something. I was disheartened by Yoko thanks to nearly ruining my wig yesterday, and have decided to put that project aside until I get the wig detangler and extra fibers to fix my ponytail. So instead, I took the pieces of my Card Captor Sakura first movie vacation outfit off of my dress form and pulled out the stretchy red fabric and started making the overdress for my Autozam Hikaru from Magic Knight Rayearth.

Reference picture for Autozam HikaruI have a Magic Knights group with my friends for Otakon, including all three Knights and Princess Emeraude. Hikaru was an obvious choice for me, based on both personality and design. We had talked about making more complicated designs, but due to time constraints I’m putting those off and am making this set based on the Rayearth II manga art. Autozam Hikaru has been a sort of dream costume of mine since I saw the art and she’s simple enough to make while still being very recognizable and also unique, fun, and cute. After cosplaying two different refined and quiet princesses for Otakon last year, Hikaru’s bubbly trademark CLAMP-girl personality is a refreshing choice that suits me well.

The skirt I already had made, although it requires alteration. It is the same skirt I used for Dark Saber at Animazement 2008. The pink petticoat was also already made, and I have keds and marching band spats I can put together to emulate the boots. That failing, I can use the slouchy white boots I made as my first sewing project. The pink tights will be shared with Yoko, the wig base was bought years ago for Mew Ichigo, and the white gloves I have several pairs of from being in marching band for years.

After all that is taken into account, I’m left with basically just the red overdress and cape to make. In the interest of staying a little cooler, the black sleeves and collar will be built directly onto the dress part so I don’t have to layer as much. The red fabric of the dress is a stretchy polyester blend, bought on a bolt on special from Wal-mart with no real identifying description to it. It acts like jersey but feels (and smells) like it’s at least partially polyester. The sleeves and collar will be made out of dance/swimwear fabric I had leftover after making Yoko’s gloves, to make sure it fits well and has a similar slight sheen to the art without being uncomfortable like pleather. The black accents on the dress will be pleather, however, as I have some leftover from Yoko and I think it would suit the design well.  The white on the cape and belt will be vinyl to complete the look. The gold piping will probably be done with gold bias tape to accommodate the rounded edges better than ribbon would and more efficiently than gold tissue lame.

So far I have built the base of the red dress. I am working on fitting it properly and will add sleeves and the collar before adding embellishments to it.

Advertisements